As soon as I saw the trailer for Sucker Punch I correctly guessed that it would be another adolescent boy fantasy masquerading as a pseudo-female-empowerment film. What I was surprised about however was how the mainstream media and the blog-o-sphere called Zach Snyder out on his disaster of a movie. Check out some of these excellent reviews:
- ‘Sucker Punch’ a confusing house-of-horrors story with busty women – Chicago Sun Times
- “Sucker Punch” goes beyond awful, to become commentary on the death of moviemaking – i09
- Sucker Punch (review) – Fuk Yeah – Flick Filosopher, this hilarious review is written from the perspective of a teenage boy
- Girls on Film: Faux Feminism in ‘Sucker Punch’ – Cinematical
- “Sucker Punch” is girls disempowered – After Ellen
- What the Hell is Abbie Cornish Doing in Sucker Punch? – Hollywood and Women
- Sucker Punch: Stilettos, Booty Shorts, and Machine Guns – Feminist Fatale
- VIDEO: Review/Rant Sucker Punch – Stupid For Movies
- “Sucker Punch”: The Failed Feminism of Zack Snyder – Indie Wire
- REMIX VIDEO 300: This is Revisionism – a great remix that calls out the overtly racist, sexist, homophobic and warmongering themes in the movie 300.
** This video is available to be translated into other languages by volunteers like you. Please visit the subtitling page on Universal Subtitles and click TRANSLATE to get started.
Sucker Punch is the latest movie from Zach Snyder. I’m not even gonna bore you with what the movie’s about because there really is no cohesive plot. And in case there was any question there is nothing even remotely empowering to women about this film. Infantalizing women with pigtails and mini skirts and cutsey little names like “Sweet Pea” and ”Baby Doll”… That’s not empowerment, even if they are armed to the teeth.
Snyder is nothing but a parasite trying to leech of the gains of feminism to satisfy his own personal, pornographic, adolescent boy fantasy, which just serves as another example of the male driven backlash against women. Who are you kidding? We’re not fooled by this.
But this movie couldn’t have been made without a major studio backing it, yes I’m looking at you Warner Brothers. I can just picture the Warner executives in their boardroom meeting being like, ”Ya this is awesome, we can have it both ways, we can fulfill the desires of the 15 year old boy market by having semi naked chicks and action, and then we can make the girls sword wielding and ass-kicking and women will love it!” I got news for you Warner Brothers, we women, we’re not that stupid!
Incidentally, Warner Brothers is also the company who is attempting to white-wash Akira by casting white actors in the role of Asian characters.
Hollywood, you need to get over the simplistic notion that “sexy chicks doing dude stuff” is somehow empowering. Taking scantily-clad, sexploitation style women and squeezing them into the mold of the male action hero does not make a strong female character. That is simply the men who run Hollywood trying to redefine what a strong female character is and repackage it in a way that is pleasing for male adolescent viewers. …oh yeah and also make a shit ton of money.
Usually in my videos I try to be fairly nuanced about my criticisms of pop culture but this movie, doesn’t have any nuance.
Sucker Punch is nothing more than a steaming pile of maggot-filled, festering, misogynist crap trying to masquerade as female empowerment.
Ya, that, uh, that pretty much sums it up.