- Gone Home (2013) – Mac, PC, Linux
- Portal (2007) & Portal 2 (2011)
- Beyond Good & Evil (2003)
- Mirror’s Edge (2008)
- Thomas Was Alone (2012)
- Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP (2011)
- Super Mario 3D World (2013) – WiiU
- Where is my Heart (2011)
- Fez (2012)
- Papo y Yo (2012)
Novels & Comics
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
- Friday Night Lights
- Veronica Mars
- Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
- Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Star Trek: Voyager
- #1 Ladies Detective Agency
- Up All Night
- Sociological Images: a smart, critical analysis of media images.
- Bitch Magazine: is an independent, feminist media organization devoted to feminist analysis and media criticism.
- Feministe: is one of the oldest feminist blogs designed by and run by women from the ground up.
- Racialicious: is a blog about the intersection of race and pop culture.
- Feminist Fatale: observes and comments on the cultural environment from a feminist perspective.
- Women in Media and News: a media analysis, education and advocacy group, works to increase women’s presence and power in the public debate. They also run the WIMN’s Voice Blog.
- Feminist SF: Feminists blog about science fiction, speculative fiction, and fantasy. Books, movies, comics, games, reason, & ranting.
- The Angry Black Woman: Race, Politics, Gender, Sexuality, Anger.
Non Fiction Books
(Full Disclosure: the books in this section are linked to Amazon. If you decide to purchase one of these books and you click through the link below, I will receive a small commission, which helps to support FemFreq. You can also check out the FemFreq Bookstore)
- Allan G. Johnson: Gender Knot: Unraveling Our Patriarchal Legacy
- bell hooks: Feminism Is for Everybody: Passionate Politics
- bell hooks: Outlaw Culture: Resisting Representations
- Gail Dines: Pornland: How Porn Has Hijacked our Sexuality
- Robert Jensen: Getting Off: Pornography and the End of Masculinity
- Ariel Levy: Female Chauvinist Pigs: Women and the Rise of Raunch Culture
- Andi Zeisler: Feminism and Pop Culture: Seal Studies
- Jennifer Pozner: Reality Bites Back: The Troubling Truth About Guilty Pleasure TV
- SmartMeme: Re:Imagining Change: How to Use Story-based Strategy to Win Campaigns, Build Movements, and Change the World
- Jean Kilbourne: Can’t Buy My Love: How Advertising Changes the Way We Think and Feel
- Susan Faludi: Backlash: The Undeclared War Against American Women
- Peggy Orenstein: Cinderella Ate My Daughter: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the New Girlie-Girl Culture
- Susan J. Douglas: Enlightened Sexism: The Seductive Message that Feminism’s Work Is Done
- Target Women: is a video series created by Sarah Haskins that is apart of InfoMania on Current TV. It is a critical and funny look at commercials targeted to women.
- Ill Doctrine: is a hip-hop video blog hosted by Jay Smooth, creator of the hip hop music blog and founder of New York’s longest running hip-hop radio show, WBAI’s Underground Railroad.
- Media Education Foundation: produces and distributes documentary films and other educational resources to inspire critical reflection on the social, political, and cultural impact of American mass media.
- bell hooks “Cultural Criticism and Transformation”: In this video, extensively illustrated with many of the images under analysis, she makes a compelling argument for the transformative power of cultural criticism.
- Nist.tv: an aggregator of feminist videos from across the web, think YouTube for feminism
- Political Remix Video: This website showcases and promotes some of the best, most innovative and inspiring examples of Political Remix Video
- Fanlore Wiki: Fanlore is a multi-authored site for, about and by fans and fan communities that create and consume fanworks.
- Organization for Transformative Works: is a nonprofit organization established by fans to serve the interests of fans by providing access to and preserving the history of fanworks and fan culture in its myriad forms. We believe that fanworks are transformative and that transformative works are legitimate.
- TV Tropes: A wiki with a continuously growing list of tropes
- Video: Things We Don’t Have In The Future…and How Fan Arts Can Help by Francesca Coppa
- Peggy McIntosh’s “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack” [PDF]
- Allan G. Johnson: is a writer, teacher, and public speaker who works on issues of privilege, oppression, and social inequality.
- Allan G. Johnson Audio Speech “Untying the Knot of Racism”
News Media Resources
- Democracy Now!: is a national, daily, independent, award-winning news program hosted by journalists Amy Goodman and Juan Gonzalez.
- The Real News Network: is a television news and documentary network focused on providing independent and uncompromising journalism.
- Al Jazeera or watch on Livestation
- ZNet is primarily a repository of thousands of political text articles, video, audio and other links.
- Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting: national media watch group, has been offering well-documented criticism of media bias and censorship since 1986
- Media Matters: a progressive research and information center dedicated to comprehensively monitoring, analyzing, and correcting conservative misinformation in the U.S. media.